Even though few facts are known about the origin of this town, its foundation can be dated towards the 11th century, around 1050 CE, when its name was "Jara de Talavera", and it belonged to the Kingdom of Toledo and within it to the lordship of Villa de Calera.
It began to be populated in the 13th century, once the Christians defeated the Almohads in the battle of Navas de Tolosa (1211). Some nameplaces, such as La Dehesa de la Cordobesa y Las Eras de Cordobilla, are indicative of the presence of Cordoba Mozarabs in the ĂĄrea. At this stage, the settlement was known as "Nava del Campillo". In the 14th century, under the rule of don Ălvaro de Luna (1388-1453), it was usurped from Talavera by his friend the Master of the Order of AlcĂĄntara, although a later ruling restored it to the lordship of the town of Talavera and its bishopric.
By the end of the 15th century, in 1495, it was already known as "El Campillo", and was made up of groups of houses or detached neighbourhoods alternating with fences, pens, olive groves, small orchards, etc. Current sights still enable the viewer to imagine that initial structure, as the various neighbourhoods can be clearly distinguished: barrio de la Zorra, barrio del Infierno, barrio de las PeĂ±as, barrios de las Eras de Arriba, de Abajo, etc.
The first reference in writing to the muncipality dates from the 16th century, from 1576, when the court clerk Baltasar Ruiz, appointed by the mayor of Talavera, Don Diego de Ăguila, carried out an inquest on âthe quality and comfort and location of said placeâ.
Some anecdotal evidence establishes that the only "hijodalgo" or squire in the region, called Pedro Gudiel, son of Alonso Gudiel, lived in the town. And that it was one of the towns that most men contributed to the war against France in 1512.
In the second half of the 20th century the rural town, with no other resources other than those directly related to harvests and cattle, turned into a town that started to combine those resources with a small mine, and particularly with the salaries generated by the construction of a railway line, nowadays the Greenline.
Parish Church La CĂĄtedra de San Pedro en AntioquĂa:
This 17th-century church has a simple but interesting Mudejar panelling at its head. The North and South faĂ§ades clearly date from the time when the church was built, and the inner space is distributed into three naves, separated by semi-circular arches on Renaissance-style Dorian columns. The diversity of the elements used in the construction (slate, brick, granite), and particularly the differences between the capitals, columns, ashlars, etc. used makes it likely that the building was carried out using materials retrieved construction older buildings.
The previous altarpiece, whose artistic value was negligible, has been recently replaced by a Baroque altarpieces retrieved from the Church of El Salvador in Talavera de la Reina. Its artistic value far surpasses that of its predecessor and it completely changes the inside look of the Church.
Ermita de Santa Perpetua y Santiago:
To the northwest of the town of Campillo de la Jara lies a porticoed Shrine dedicated to Saint Anne. Built of slate masonry, it has a square plant and a small porch. To the left can be found a modern wooden carving of Saint Perpetua, and to the right that of Saint James Apostle.
Mass is sung in the Shrine on the day of Saint Isidore the Ploughman and Saint James Apostle
In the 18th century, in 1790, the bridge over the Cubilar stream, the Mohedas bridge, was built. The bridge has a cobbled path and three arches in brick masonry, two equal ones and a larger pointed arch. It was commissioned by Don Juan Ălvarez de Castro, the bishop of Coria, who was born in Mohedas. On one of the balustrades, also in masonry, stands a granite stone with a rough inscription commemorating the date of its building.
In the 19th century, around 1848, the town had 240 houses and 14 flour mills. The location of at least 10 of them is still known, on the rivers Uso and RiofrĂo and on the Cubilar stream. In the 20th century, the millers who ran these mills shared their activity with the Campillo Factory, a mill located on the very town square which was already closer to an industrial site (as it already used engines, electricity, etc.) than to older mills whose only moving force was that provided by the river flow. The factory was active into the 1980s where the El Molino bar is now located.
These were 5 oil mills in the El Campillo town centre. In these mills the grinding stone was moved by animal traction (donkeys or mules). The Gastronomic-Cultural Association Mariano Gamino has restored the last of these mills, which was active into the 1980s. This initiative has made it possible to retrieve the entire traditional process of oil elaboration, in addition to preserving one of the typical building in the area and providing a centre for all kinds of cultural activities. The collaboration of the last oil millers was very valuable for the restoration.
Until the 1950s every neighbourhood had its own oven to bake bread. At that time there were 12 ovens. The neighbours had an agreement to knead and bake bread once a week. They would have previously brought the necessary wood, usually broom, the wheat had been ground in the mil, and the necessary leaven â which was handed over from family to family â had been collected. In addition, the embers were often used to bake potatoes, peppers, etc. The bread would be kept for the entire week in earthenware pots to prevent it from growing stale, even though it would often have to be softened with a little water or wine. The last of these ovensg has been recently restored, and the Housewivesâ Association has been able to display all this process, now almost forgotten, particularly to younger generations
3rd February. The most traditional festivity of El Campillo.
Since ancient times, the festivities of Saint Blaiseâs day have been complemented by the celebration of Candlemass, on 2nd February, and the celebration of San Blasitoâs day, on 3rd February.
The singing of the Mass and the Procession, with the traditional auctioning of the carrier positions (to carry the Saint to the church door) are particularly important for the entire town, and particularly for the San Blas Brotherhood.
In addition, there are many leisure and cultural activities which are promoted and coordinated by the Town Hall and the Neighboursâ Associations.
Feast of Youth
It has been celebrated since 1968, and takes place in the first weekend in August.
Since their origin, which dates back to the time of emigration and the immigrantsâ return to the town for the holidays, these festivities have been characterised by the neighboursâ participation in all kind of initiatives which seek to raise funds (raffles, theatrics, tombolas, tastings, etc. )
Activities such as the costume contest, theatrics, and folk dances, the farmersâ market, stalls, dances, and shows for young people and adults, have become a tradition and allows the neighbours and visitor to enjoy a few leisure days.